1953 Jaguar XK120May 28, 2018
2012 Ferrari 458 Italia SpiderJune 15, 2018
Arktic Silver | Coupé | 4 Speed Manual | 1600cc | 24,773 miles showing | POA
The 356 was created by Ferdinand "Ferry" Porsche (son of Dr. Ing. Ferdinand Porsche, founder of the company). Like its cousin, the Volkswagen Beetle (which Ferdinand Porsche Senior had designed), the 356 was a four-cylinder, air-cooled, rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive car utilizing unitized pan and body construction.
While the 356's body was an original design by Porsche employee Erwin Komenda, its mechanicals (including engine, suspension and chassis) were derived from the Volkswagen. The first 356 was road certified in Austria on June 8, 1948, and used many Volkswagen parts for manufacturing economy. Quickly though, Porsche re-engineered and refined the car with a focus on performance. By the late '50s many fewer parts were shared between Volkswagen and Porsche. The early 356 automobile bodies produced at Gmünd were handcrafted in aluminum, but when production moved to Zuffenhausen, Germany in 1950, models produced there were steel-bodied.
Delivered new in Hamilton Victoria in December 1968 this 356A has benefitted from a major restoration. It is accompanied by a complete file documenting the work carried out and also has a certificate of authenticity from Porsche Australia. The restoration took over five years and was completed in late 2007, it has travelled just over 2,000 kms since the restoration and has only been used sparingly to travel to shows were it has a won several awards. 2007, 2008 and 2009 Australian Porsche 356 Concourse Silver and 2010 Gold Award.
It was originally owned by Ian Hamilton (known as the Red Baron) who won many hill climbs in this car, he owned it until 1973. This is a superb example the 356 A and would be a great addition to any collection.